The mission of the UCSF Acute Care Surgery Program is to provide high-quality, timely, and efficient patient care in emergency surgical conditions while also educating medical students and residents. We strive to:
- Promote evidence-based guidelines for the safe, timely, and comprehensive care of patients with emergency surgery diagnoses.
- Provide appropriate medical student and resident teaching and supervision.
- Provide the platform for surgical quality improvement research focusing on patient safety and high-quality surgical outcomes, particularly in perioperative processes of care.
- Improve communication and professionalism between inpatient services in the coordination of inpatient patient care.
- Propose a new solution to the crisis in access to the emergency department care.
- Alleviate the crisis of emergency department overcrowding, boarding, and ambulance diversion.
- Enhance the utilization of emergency department, operating room, and medical center resources.